Monday, January 22, 2007

Contemplating a bit of writing


I need to start writing. This may seem a somewhat strange comment given the undeniable fact that it is written. However, what I mean is that I need to start writing some truly publishable material. This is so:
  1. I can disseminate my wildly original and extremely important research findings to the wider world.
  2. I can place myself in a position where someone says 'Wow! Look at your CV! And all those publications for one so young! Why don't you come and work for me in a meaningful and well paid job?'*
  3. I can provide for my wife (for the first time in at least three years).
  4. I can have the joy of seeing my name in print.
Sadly all I have really learnt in eight years of tertiary education is the ability to procrastinate.

I shall start writing tomorrow.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

what truly noble intentions, andrew. i admire your resolve. i am meant to be writing today, but spent the whole morning blogging instead! oops :-)

how much writing do you tihnk you need to do? ie how close are your chapters to articles? i'd be interested to hear more about how you go about transforming your thesis into a series of articles (or is it a book you have in mind???)

Jonathan said...

Tomorrow? That's when I'm going to work on my thesis instead of read blogs!

Andrew said...

Meredith - no book in mind, just three or four articles. I can't really stand wading back into the thesis just yet, so I'm not sure how much work they need. Probably I need to condense the arguments of particular chapters (so they go from 10,000 down to 6,000 words) and make sure that the context for each is properly explained when they are removed from their place within the overall arc of the thesis.

Andrew said...

Right now I'm working on a book review. From doing this (and actually carefully reading other book reviews) it has dawned on me that they perform a vitally important function in disseminating, articulating and critiquing ideas. In the past I've only skimmed them, from now on I will pay closer attention!

Andrew said...

Jonathan - start writing NOW!

Reading blogs (this one anyway) is like eating fairy floss. It looks good, it's sweet to the initial taste, but in an instant it's insubstantial nature is revealed as it vanishes into thin air!