Friday, July 21, 2006

What to do, what to do ...

[Vienna State Opera] [AF]

The post-thesis-submission-blues have set in. 'How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable ... etc. etc.' For the last four (and a bit) years of my life I have been studying the backstage areas of theatre buildings in Sydney, Australia, assessing the impact of backstage spaces on performers' work processes, their performances, and their own understandings of what it is to be a performer. My focus was to better understand the 'place' of performers, the ways in which performers inhabit certain physical, social and imaginative realms. For at least the last six months I have increasingly put off and to one side much that was important to me (esp. healthy eating habits) in the pursuit of a final, printed-and-bound, piece of (what I think is) suitably scholarly text.

But now that is done. My masterwork is out there serving as an unusually bulky and finely crafted drinks coaster on an examiner's desk. And I am sitting, still poking at a keyboard, because, like Dusty Springfield, I just don't know what to do with myself.

Beginnings beckon, and I dedicate this blog to documenting my re-engagement with the wider world!

Well, at least until the novelty wears off.

4 comments:

Emma said...

Not sure what Dusty Springfield would make of your lack of "forcus" but as Burt Bacharach once said "What's it all about Alfie?" or Andrew as the case may be... There is a notable link missing from your list and we over at inner-nerd think you need to be reminded that what the world needs now is love.

Jon would like to point out that he thinks you're blogging for us not with us...

Andrew said...

Yeah alright! Is this the thanks I get? I shall, of course, link you in, and attempt to maintain 'forcus'.

Meredith said...

congrats on submitting andrew - thats great. i am amazed every single time someone pulls off a thesis! it seems almost miraculous to me

Andrew said...

Thanks Meredith. It kind of just happens - one day the momentum starts to get moving, it snowballs, you get increadibly obsessive about it, wild mood swings (between 'I'm invincible!!' and 'This is worse than nothing') ... and then its sitting there, printed and bound.

I'm really fascinated by your thesis topic - I remember you explained it to me at one of those tutor training days ... but the explanation on your blog is really clear (which is a definite sign that completion is possible!!) Sounds like really valuable work.