Monday, July 24, 2006

Trying to slow down ...

How do people slow down?

Over the last few months, during which my 'thesis syndrome' reached its apogee, I've been drinking too much coffee and been far too wound up. Often I'd start a day with excitement and grand visions of how much I would type or how much I would edit, but simply end up hyping myself into a blur of disconnected actions, and simply not be able to concentrate on the task at hand. By the afternoon I would develop tension headaches that wouldn't subside until later in the evening.

Even without the undue influence of the 'thesis syndrome' I've often found myself getting rather wound up with exciting ideas or stimulating circumstances. I get 'big'. I get 'manic'. That's acceptable when you might be performing, but in everyday social situations it can be a little wearing. When I was little my mum would tell me that 'the world has to take a rest now' to calm me down. I fear that the energy levels and behaviour that is endearing in a four year old isn't always so in a twenty-six year old.

And the world isn't really a help with any of this anyway. I feel like I'm the one who needs a rest from it, not vice-versa. It just seems to spin on faster and faster. Semester started today, and although now I'm not studying anymore (for the first time since 1985!!!) I've now got plenty of teaching work to get on with.

So, how do you actually slow down? Any suggestions? More importantly, as a Christian, how can I put Psalm 46 into action and cultivate stillness, allowing myself to be still, and know that He is God?

1 comment:

byron smith said...

Blog more.