Monday, February 19, 2007

Send me to Prague - Please!

[Send me here]

Okay, I need $3500. And I want to lay out this challenge up front: who can provide me with a way of raising $3500? Sponsorship? Scholarship? Publicity stunt? Street theatre? I will try (almost) anything. Spread the word people! Blog it. This boy needs $3500.

Why? Because I am a struggling early career theatre researcher with no institutional backing (and no money) who has just heard about the conference of his dreams. Today I received an email advising me that the Architecture Working Group of the International Federation of Theatre Research will be holding their first meeting, in Prague, from the 18th to the 20th June, coinciding with the Prague Quadrennial. This is the conference for me. I attended the Scenography Working Group conference in Prague in 2003, and that was good (and you can read the results) - but this will be better. I have spent four years writing a thesis on the finer points of theatre architecture, and now is the time for me to get out there and discuss the results with the heavies! This will not be a holiday!

(Okay, a little qualification, I do have enough money to live, but my wife has been supporting me rather heavily over the last few years and now I need to return the favour by not directing my income (and hers!) towards conferences, books and other academic follies. So, if you think I'm a bit crazed, think of this as a favour to her.)

That's the gist. Help me out! Who has a killer idea for how I can raise $3500?*

*A free foot massage and simultaneous lecture on the backstage areas of Sydney theatre buildings for the person with the best idea.

6 comments:

Ants said...

Ebay?

Collect stuff from Council Cleanups and sell it all on Ebay. You know you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Quick response travel funding of up to $3000 for Australian artists:
http://www.anat.org.au/
You'll need to become an ANAT member, which may take up to 8 weeks - so move quick.

Andrew said...

Thanks Anonymous! I will check it out.

ants, I get the sense that you don't really want a foot massage ...

Ants said...

Waaah?! I had a friend who seriously tried that out to make money. I think he made a little bit...

He's now a Liberal candidate for the next state election.

Hmmmm maybe you shouldn't try it.

Ants said...

I was thinking of something else last night - oh yeah - something to do with working at McDonalds for 300hrs to make up the money you need... not such a good plan.

If you could program some Ruby on Rails for me I'd give you $1000 right now.

Rachel said...

maybe write a letter to your close mate cate Blanchett? or better still steAL her toothbrush and sell it on ebay.

SArK (www.planetsark.com) would suggest putting deposit on ticket and go mad on doing everything in your power to make money - sell flowers at restaurants, offer to write poetry for people on street anything.